Ripple Sketches: For the Oil Spill Effort

Yesterday I finished two sketches for http://ripplesketches.blogspot.com/, which donates $10.00 to help the animal victims of the Deep Water Horizon Gulf Oil Spill for every card sold on their site. I drew these illustrations and will send the sketch cards to the lucky person who donates $10 to two non-profit organisations, The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies and The International Bird Rescue Research Center.

"Which is the way back to the Ocean?"
This is featuring a crab that has been blinded by all the oil muck that is stuck to its body and eyes. I was inspired by the photo below that I found on the web.

Crab stuck in oil muck

My second card is inspired by a few pictures of dying dolphins. I thought, how can I bring the message close to home? Immediately I thought of family, and drawing the dolphins as "alive" and with kinship will hopefully bring the message home to everyone that our human greed destroys families and lives.

"Mamma, we are surrounded"

I like the Norwegian word for "mother" a lot, so I've decided to incorporate that word "mamma" in my illustration. I aimed to create a claustrophobic feeling for the dolphins to show that if oil spills, the sea animals are literally in a prison with nowhere to go. They can't just leap on land into their fancy Porsches and drive from the "dirty" stuff as far away as possible.

These sketch cards are approx 4" x 6" and are not my usual style; however I like them very much... it would be hard for me to part with them but it would be for a worthy cause.

These cards would be available as prints as well, either for $10 donation through ripplesketches.blogspot.com or for sale upon request on this website (i.e. if you decided to donate to me instead :P )

I do need the money now because I've been looking for a job for a few months now....so any donations to me too would be useful. Then I can feed myself, draw more sketches for meaningful causes, and generate more kindness and goodwill amongst people. Isn't that a no-brainer? :)

*lol*
pixy


Comments

Popular Posts