Illustration Friday: Subterranean (the Sketch)


This week's topic was "Subterranean", which threw me off my seat.
It makes me think of movies like Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The quote given wasn't making inspiration easy either:

“The conscious mind may be compared to a fountain playing in the sun and falling back into the great subterranean pool of subconscious from which it rises.” ~ Sigmund Freud

Suddenly the "conscious-slash-subconscious" bit struck me that I had done a drawing (which later developed into a painting) some years back that fits this enigmatic "Subterranean" theme.

"Falling Asleep"

I love sleeping. Maybe because sometimes I get busy and sleep-deprived in my line of work...13-14 hour days are no joke.
 I think you can psycho-analyse this illustration to bits. The cold metallic reflection of the waking world versus...

  ...the warm real You in the subconscious world of Sleep, rained by little drops of truth and bliss.

For some reason, these aliens decided to join in the fun of moon-viewing (mooning?!) with the girls in sleep.

The moon is a recurring theme in my illustrations, partly Japanese-art inspired in the Heian period, and also its symbolism of feminity and the yin out of the yang.

x pixy

P.S. The links in orange are NOT one of those annoying advertisements I see on some websites. They are links to sites that give more information, more interest to my post. Please click on them if you like. Of course, you are not obliged to. :)

Comments

Popular Posts