Illustration Friday: Afterwards (What happens to Snow White's stepmum?)

All marriages are happy. It's trying to live together afterwards that causes all the problems.
Shelley Winters
Afterwards - What Happens to Snow White's stepmum
As a child I have always been fascinated with fairytales. Some criticise my art as childish and not "grown up" enough, but I object. Why should art be realistic and "life-like" to be termed good?
I guess I want to remain stubbornly a child.

I believe that in simplicity lies depth. Perhaps that doesn't apply to this particular sketch, but I wanted to illustrate how many modern fairytales are based on rather macabre tales, dark and full of human treachery. Snow White is one of those stories - and I've drawn the original ending to her stepmother's painful end.

My drawing relates to the quote above because fairytales often end with "and they lived happily ever after". But Snow White married the prince and they decided to torture the stepmother to death instead of giving her a more humane way to live.
Does getting rid of the evil stepmother make them happy afterwards?
Would Snow White be able to live with her conscience - happily?
How could any of Snow White's wedding guests witness this horrible scene and still have good memories about her marriage with the prince?
So I leave you to think, dear readers - is enforced morality ever rightly justified?

pixy


P.S. I'm a new guest writer on eat.shop.play.love and you can view my first blog post here!

Comments

  1. You are right on the fact that the old fairy tales were rather macabre. Funny I was just thinking of a TV programme called Tenth Kingdom before looking at this which is where I heard that version of the snow white ending.

    A super illustration that shows the pain and dispair of the step mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Tenth Kingdom is a wonderful series, I liked watching it very much :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts